Tuesday 27 April 2010

Mist and Magic.



This morning I woke to a secret garden, one shrouded and ethereal in its cloak of swirling mist. This was no gothic landscape though as even through the dense shifting blanket swathes of blue forget-me-nots and cherry blossom umbels sweeping on laden branches over the pond gave far too cheery a feel to the atmosphere to suggest mystery and chill. Now the mist is lifting and I wonder if I imagined the secret land outside the kitchen window as it returns once more to scenes such as these...



Something shifts at the end of the garden, its sleek black head searching for prey (or more likely a place to sleep).



A panther stalks deep in the grasses beneath the little orchard, the scarlet tulips blowing lazily in the breeze under the twisted branches of an old gnarled apple tree. The blossoms are beginning to break and the panther collapses in a patch of warm sunlight to rest his weary bones - and I am being ironic here as Fatty Arbuckle is far too lazy to ever stalk anything.



All around the fruit trees are wreathing themselves with confetti blossom, the contrast with bright new leaves giving the impression of light even when the skies are dull.



I so love this time of year and all the different blossoms it produces. Our fruiting cherry tree is huge and old. This year it is flowering profusely after a few years where it needed a break it seems.



Just so very, very beautiful and it fills the view from our kitchen window almost making the washing up less of a chore than a pleasure...almost



The ducks - the very naughty ducks, but more of that in a moment - have made a nest of woven beauty and I discovered several large eggs once Biscuit waddled off for a drink. I took them inside and left her three to sit on, but already she is bored and has abandoned them in that way of ducks. Not the best of sitters really and eggs are better hatched with a broody hen if need be.



And why naughty? Well, they were busily ambling through the garden when I looked out just now. Hmmm...



Not for long I might add!



The beds are beginning to fill with peonies and chives, oregano and poppies, muscari and yet more tulips, the myriad colours pleasing me in a way I used to dislike. It's strange how we change our ideas of things isn't it?

.

So much colour



and this one only planted at the end of February.



As a change of scene, the river this morning was just wonderful with boats emerging from the mist on milky water.



Still, quiet, magical.



Little Dennis peeped its turrets out of the shroud further along the river at the mouth to the estuary



and lime greens stood out in the strange light.



Altogether a pretty day.

Bye for now x

21 comments:

  1. Hi Pip, I saw on the weather forecast this morning that there was a lot of swirling mist down there in Cornwall - usually a good sign of a glorious day!

    Your visiting panther is just like my Jess, and I do call her a panther, especially when she climbs up trees!

    Your spring garden is blooming beautifully and I love your naturalistic planting. I didn't know that about ducks and their eggs - hope one of your hens comes to the rescue!

    Have a lovely day.

    Jeanne
    x

    PS Do you still have bunting in your shop? Must pop over and take a look ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely a gorgeous post, Pipany. I feel your morning perfectly - just my kind! Your photos and words are prose. Oh, the sea and mist! (and to have a garden, for that matter!)

    I think that I'll just end my blog time here and come back later.

    Love, Katy xo

    P.S. I am struggling because I don't want to be practical, at the mo, but, what kind of camera do you use? I'm in desperate need of another one and my birthday is coming up in June...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really ought to publish some of those photos - I love the last green one and those misty estuary ones are beautiful. Isn't it just so beautiful these mornings?!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pipany, what a contrast of beautiful colors in this post. That sunny garden (with panther) and that misty blue coast.

    I do agree with your title, Mist and Magic!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous pictures. I love the way gardens come back to life and paeonies are such a big favourite of mine. I'm always amazed, pleased and relieved that they reappear year after year. Your garden looks a treat - I love all the different blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is looking absolutely magnificent out there at the moment....blossom, tulips, forget me nots and weeping hearts.

    Have a super fab day,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very pretty day indeed Pipany. You have such a lovely view out of you kitchen window. It must be lovely to see the changing seasons from your kitchen sink! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pipany,

    I must have said it before, but what a beautiful place you live in. I enjoyed your story very much and could almost see the mist swirling through your garden. But, the flowers are lovely without the mist too! Love all the colours!

    Wish you a happy evening!

    Groetjes van Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, lovely post Pipany. The flowers, the colours, the ducks - even 'Fatty Arbuckle'! Has this been a good year for tulips do you think? Yours look marvellous. Bye for now, Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos as always :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a majical post. I thought I was reading a novel to start with, you kept me enthralled. The pictures are amazing especially the boats.
    Thank you for sharing your lovely morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post, - lovely words and photos combined to make such appealing images.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such gorgeous pictures and prose.

    I love the cat amongst the tulips, such a mix of bright, vibrant colour.

    Have a lovely day.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How lovely - words & pictures Pipany.
    Love the pictures of the cat - have copied them for inspiration for a felt piece I'd liketo do ... one day...I do hope that this is OK? If not let me know.
    You are so flowery doon sooth. We have hardly a thing the daffodils are mostly over, but the primroses, violets and wood sorrel are now out and lovely to see.
    CKx

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous post Pip..
    glad the garden is blooming...
    Take a look at my blog, do you know Charlotte?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a delight you have given us Pip! Your photos are just beautiful - thank you for a peep into your lovely garden. You are so gifted with photography.
    Val xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos...loved them all but most especially the boats in the mist, delightful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely, lovely photos. Love the photos of the kitty in the tulips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pipany your image of the forget-me-nots took my breath away. Beautiful! WHat a shame about the duck eggs. Still, they'll make your cakes extra delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmm...magic moments... :o) Happy Days, Pipany ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pip, thanks for your details, I'll get your parcel in the post at the weekend. I meant to do it this week but I've been out and about all week besides getting Josh ready to go away for the weekend. Hope your BH weekend is restful.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete